Effective data import into Dynamics SL can be attained through any of the below techniques from legacy system and other products.
1. Solomon Object Model:
· Any Dynamics SL window can be accessed as an object and pass data directly into the window.
· Any COM-compliant application or programming tool can use Solomon Object model Eg: VB.Net/ C# by adding the Microsoft.Dynamics.SL.ObjectModel.dll as the reference.
· Best for Dynamics SL Data import Automations as it strictly follows the SL rules and validations ensuring the SL data integrity.
· The data source could be the databases of home grown/legacy application or the CSV file.
2. Transaction import (TI):
· Integration tool of Dynamics SL to transfer data from an external file into any Dynamics SL window
· Existing Dynamics SL business logic will validate the imported data ensuring the Transaction integrity is an advantage.
· Can be launched as a batch script file or can be scheduled to run automatically using the “Application Server” tool of Dynamics SL.
· The data source could be the data file in the comma or tab delimited format.
· TI processing works only with the Active Desktop connection. If the machine is locked, TI won’t work and will resume only after the machine is unlocked which is a major disadvantage for data import automations.
3. SQL injection:
· Injecting the data into the SQL tables of Dynamics SL directly.
· Need to replicate the table impacts and the validations of Dynamics SL while importing the data into SL.
· Not highly recommended as there is always a threat of not replicating all the business rules of Dynamics SL.
We are recommending Solomon Object Model for the Data import automations to Dynamics SL as the business logic of the screen will be preserved.